Prev: Re: [DS] Point System (was RE: In praise of Cottage Industry) Next: [FT] Activations & MASS

Re: Escort class vessels in line of battle

From: Jaime Tiampo <fugu@s...>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:32:14 -0800
Subject: Re: Escort class vessels in line of battle

Beth Fulton wrote:
> You can still get concentration of fire with this especially if
there's a
> big guy on either end of the line ;)

Ah now if there isn't a big guy at each end, say slipping a glob fleet
to the side so that it's closer to one end of the line then the other.

> Often not much, but we do also run planets and sometimes asteroids.
There's
> been the odd nebula when Lachy has felt the need to be sneaky ;)

Ah open table games. Never find that it just turns into the straight run
at each other?

> I don't always time their arrival to match exactly and it can be
helpful if
> it forces him to either ignore one lot at his peril or try and second
guess
> the split and split himself - with amusing consequences if he doesn't
get
> the turn exactly right and ends up missing everybody ;)

Ah so. What the strategy I've seen for this is just ignor one of the
groups. Pick the one that you want to cripple the most and just go for
it. You'll end up taking fire from all the ships anyways, so you mights
as well concentrate your fire.

> Its also very helpful if you've got a specific mission in mind for the
> strike wing. This is particularly if I run my race that has some
needle
> armed scouts - they are really only there to "rope" out a particular
ship
> while the rest are occupied with the main force.

<nod> If you're playing a mission based game I can see task forces more.
Unfortunately we havn't started mission based games yet. By the point we
were planning to we ended playing SGII mostly and haven't gotten back to
FT yet :) Doesn't help that I basically have all the fleets and
datacards and have been really slack on updating all the new designs I
have on my HD to SSDs :) A lot of the stuff I have printed up are first
gen FB designs and some 2nd gen stuff. Leaving them mostly note very
well designed except for a few good classes :)

Prev: Re: [DS] Point System (was RE: In praise of Cottage Industry) Next: [FT] Activations & MASS