Prev: Re: Command Reactivations Next: One last left-over from ECC...

Re: (SG2)Question on Firing Twice

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:52:59 -0500
Subject: Re: (SG2)Question on Firing Twice

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:57:18 -0500, adrian.johnson@sympatico.ca wrote:

>The
>following paragraph says that the commander may attempt to transfer
actions
>to two units in the one turn, "though both must be resolved at the same
time".

>I always thought that this bit was just an example of what could be
done
>with transferring actions, not the only allowable method of
transferring
>actions.  In other words, it is saying that if you want to, you can
>re-activate two units, and if you try to activate two units, you
resolve
>both at the same time.  It doesn't say, anywhere in that section, that
if
>you fail to transfer an action to a single unit, you can't try again
with
>the same unit.

That's a good point.

Our group had a big discussion on this point; I wish I had kept the
notes from
that discussion. We felt the phrase "though both must be resolved at the
same
time" is meaningless unless you have to declare which squads you will be
transferring the actions to ahead of time.

Now that I think about it, I can see your point. You can declare you are
transferring to one squad, make the communication attempt, and then
declare
the next one immediately afterwards, depending on the result.

We played it that you had to declare which squads you were going to
declare
the attempt for, and then make the rolls.

I can see, though, the interpretation that you could make one roll, and
then
make a second roll based on the result of the first. In fact, I think I
found
another phrase on the the same page that gives your interpretation more
credence. The Transfer Action is listed as being able to be "DOUBLED UP,
ie:
the SAME action carried out (or attempted) TWICE within one activation,
using
one action for each attempt."

Okay, I stand corrected. You don't have to declare your Transfers ahead
of
time. However, I think we can all agree that you have to make both rolls
before you do anything with either squad (the "both must be resolved at
the
same time" clause). You can't transfer an action, use that squad, and
then
decide on the other transfer action. You have to make one Transfer
Action
communication roll, then the second, then do something with the squads
that
succeeded.

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: Command Reactivations Next: One last left-over from ECC...