Prev: Re: [SG] EMP Next: NAC Scout bike, mortar team

RE: [SG] Climate/Environment Aclamation

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:21:08 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG] Climate/Environment Aclamation

OK. I thought that I encluded enough disclaimers, but obviously not.

First let me indicate what I am NOT speaking (typing?) of.
1) I am not refering to Power Armor. I am making the assumption that
most PA
is environmentally sealed and designed for a variety of conditions. I am
also taking for grated that PA troops are highly trained in the use of
the
armor. Now if you have inferior PA, poorly trained troops, or PA that is
at
the end of its endurance (filters need cleaned, low on oxygen, power
low,
etc.) or is breached, it may be another thing all together.
2) Vehicles. Hopefully the vehicles have been adapted for the
conditions. If
not, there may be some adverse conditions.
3) Troops that have been stationed in this environment for an extended
period of time.
4) Untrained troops. I am inquiring about troops with training for the
conditions. Howerver, it takes some time to aclimate one's self. Also,
even
with good training, people tend to minimize or ignore procedures that
are
ackward or uncomfortable (until the casualty list starts to grow, then
the
wisdom of following the procedure is suddenly more clear).

What I meant to indicate is when non-PA troops are inserted from one
environment to another without adequite time to adapt to the new
conditions.

Examples:
Going from Hot to Cold or Cold to Hot.
Going from Dry to Humid or Humid to Dry
Going from High to Low Oxygen/Atmosphere or Low to High
Oxygen/Atmosphere
Going from a friendly environment to one where an Environment or NBC
suit is
required.

What would be a good modifier to apply to unaclimated troops? I
suggested
shifting the quality down 1. Any other suggestions?

What would be a good amount of time to indicate that a unit is aclimated
local conditions? Part of it would depend on the difficulty of the
conditions.
Environmental Changes:
Change	Aclimation Time  Treat Level Retest Period
Nominal None		 No Test     N/A
Minor	1 week		 +1	     Each Day
Major	1 month 	 +2	     Each Week
Severe	6 months	 +3	     Each Month
When troops first arrive in the new environment, they make a quality
test at
x2 the environmental change threat level. If they succeed, training and
leadership allow the unit to function as normal. If they fail, they have
thier quality shifted down 1 until aclimated. After the retest period,
they
may test again (at normal threat level). If they succeed, they are
restored
to normal quality level. If they fail they continue to operate under a
down-shifted quality. At the end of the Aclimation Time, all units use
normal quality (even if they fail every test).

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://www.ftsr.org