Prev: Re: In praise of Cottage Industry Next: Re: Customized Sa'Vasku

Re: (FT) Point Value for Hulls

From: "Jeremy Seeley" <jbs@A...>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:41:21 -0700
Subject: Re: (FT) Point Value for Hulls

I said

> > It seems to me that the size vs. point cost issue could be solved by
> making
> > the cost more realistic.  What I propose is that the mass cost be
> squared
> > (if not cubed), because bigger means bigger in proportion.

> Laserlight said
> Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.  Volume is a function of
> radius cubed, surface is only a function of radius squared.  Therefore
> bigger ships will be able to pack in more stuff per square meter of
> hull.  That hurts escorts rather than helping them.

Well, yes, that's right.  It would mean that the amount of available
space
would be bigger.  That is realistic, and means that big means REALLY
big, in
comparison.  Still, the bigger means more cost for the hull and its
internals.  I am not trying to 'help" escorts.	I am merely trying to
give
them a realistic necessity, which is that of resources.  Why not use 23
SDNs?  Because it costs a ton, and it is not necessarily good to dump so

Prev: Re: In praise of Cottage Industry Next: Re: Customized Sa'Vasku