Prev: RE: In praise of Cottage Industry Next: RE: [SG] Climate/Environment Aclamation (was RE: [OT] Canadians are C OLD....)

Re: Customized Sa'Vasku

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 19:23:14 +0100
Subject: Re: Customized Sa'Vasku

In message <20010328.102822.9559.6.triphibious@juno.com>
	  Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@juno.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:46:39 -0800 (PST) Shawn M Mininger
> <smininger@yahoo.com> writes:
> >I have a question for all you Full Thrusters.

[snip]

> >This has caused a problem......the Sa'Vasku!!!!  If
> >you play the prebuilt (canned) Sa'Vasku ships, they
> >aren't soo bad.  The problem is when you build your
> >own.  They can quickly become unbeatable.  Example: If
> >each side takes 1000pts, my buddy usually takes
> >Sa'Vasku....makes one big ship......and game over!!!
> >He just builds them with a huge amount of power...no
> >shields.  Then has just has to sit accross the table
> >and blow us away at ranges we can't even dream of.  If
> >we make a run to get in close....guess what....he
> >changes range and blows us apart even faster!!!
> >
> >Anyone else run into this problem?  Can anyone give me
> >some advice?
> >
> >=====
> >Thank You,
> >
> >Shawn M Mininger
> >

> Maybe you should consider "why" this guy insists on playing in such a
way
> as to totally unbalance the game?? Munchkin?	Victory counter?  Ego
> freak?  Sorry if this seems blunt but if this *always* happens this
> person is, at best, fixated on winning by playing the spreadsheet over
> playing the game.  Why not limit the games to humans for a while and
see
> this person's response?
>
> Maybe you could provide binding rules such as?
>
> No more then 40% (no minimum) of you points will be Capital Ships, no
> more then 50% and no Less then 25% Cruisers, and no more then 50% or
less
> then 10% of points expended must be escorts???   This requires at
least
> Three ships...  One of each.	And if you use morale rules each ship
lost
> is 33% of the fleet.... including that escort, no matter how light it
> is...
>
> But I still think your problem is found in the answer to my first
> question.
>
> As a 'recovered munchkin' I feel I can speak openly about that
problem.

> Gracias, Glenn/Triphibious (American Mongrel)
> You don't have to be French to be a 'frog', or even human!
> Nektons - Real Marines! (Die, Ralnai, Die!)
> Starguard, Dirtside 2,  Ratner's Space Marines, Stellar Conflicts
> and Uprisings, and Full Thrust/2nd.  Resistance is everything!

In addition, some time ago (shortly after FB2 came out) there was a lot
of discussion on the list about the Sa'Vas'Ku ability to fire at longer
ranges than anyone else (and then switch all power to drives and move of
if anyone got close) for instance, a Var'Arr'Sha (light cruiser) can
fire a stinger shot with a range of up to 48 mu, and still have 4 power
spare - the only ship in FB1 with this kind of range is the Komarov SDN!

IIRC, the general opinion was that the range bands for Stinger Nodes be
reduced to 8 or 9 mu per band (ie. 0-8, 8-16, 16-24 or 0-9, 9-18,
18-27, etc.)

Even so, with a single huge ship and a lot of power, you've still got a
problem, so I suggest you follow Glenn's suggestion.