Prev: Gallery Update was Re: (OT) Paper fighters, PA nuns and stuff was... Next: Re: Paper fighters was: Gallery Update

Re:[OT]42 Up

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@d...>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 23:29:05 +1000
Subject: Re:[OT]42 Up

The talk about Dr Who, nostalgia and so on has reminded me to recommend
a really good set of films to everyone.

In 1964, Michael Apted made a 40 minute documentary about 14 7-year-old
kids in the UK from as widespread a variety of backgrounds as he could
get,
from the very rich to dirt poor, and all points in between.

The idea was to revisit them every 7 years, and track what has happened,
how much influence early childhood has on future life.

The latest episode is now some 100 minutes long, and is called "42 Up".

I know "35 up" and "42 up" are both available on video. The others I
don't
know about.

This hits close to home - I was born in 58 not 57, but like one I went
a boarding prep school and travelled widely overseas, like another I've
emigrated to Australia, like a third I've gone into hitech science.

If you can, watch this series. From the start. It's the story of my
generation.

URLs:
http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/greatmovies/up_documentaries.html
http://www.culturevulture.net/Movies2/42Up.htm
http://www.cinema-scene.com/archive/volume-2-number-32.html#42
http://www.combustiblecelluloid.com/42up.shtml
http://www.theage.com.au/daily/990704/news/specials/news3.html

And FWIW at age 10, when I saw Kubrick's  "2001", I hoped that in 2001
I'd be working on a Space project. And on Monday I start heading up the
space avionics software development of FedSat-1, Australia's first
satellite in 30 years.

And with anything like luck, Carmel and I should have our first child
born sometime in late July. After 20 years of marriage.

Some things are worth waiting for.

And Sometimes - not often - but just Sometimes, Dreams DO come true.

Prev: Gallery Update was Re: (OT) Paper fighters, PA nuns and stuff was... Next: Re: Paper fighters was: Gallery Update