Prev: RE: [sg] Starting Forces Next: Re: FT-Technology in the FT world

Re: How does a UN force operate?

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 05:23:54 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: How does a UN force operate?

--- agoodall@canada.com wrote:

> My understanding is that the organizations maintain
> their structure and composition based on the nation
> they are pulled from. So, Canadian peacekeepers
> follow the standard Canadian TO&E. This makes a
> certain amount of sense, as it's simpler to send
> whole units (at what level, I'm not sure, but I
> think it's at the regimental level) to a war zone
> than to send bits and pieces.

That's how it works in NATO operations like Kosovo.
The different nations send whatever their contribution
is (US--reinforced brigades, other nations vary) and
they have responsibility for different sectors.
There's an overall joint command structure.  For
instance, in Kosovo there's an Italian general in
charge of the whole KFOR.  Then it's broken into 4
Multi-National Brigades.  In MNB-South, there's a US
brigadier general in command.  Under him are the
various national contingents (the US brigade, and the
other nationalities working that sector).  Each
national contingent (or part of a national contingent
if it's a large one like the US) has responsibility
for a certain sector.

> I know when the US forces were in Somalia they had
> helicopter support, but I think that was based on
> standard US Army organization. Canada has sent
> Special Forces units into war zones, as has the US.
> A lot depends on the mission and the area. Typically
> it's the army, though, that shoulders the burden.

In Kosovo, my commander was extremely fond of the
Apaches.  Someone wants to get frisky?	A pair of
Apaches hovering settles people down quick.

John

Prev: RE: [sg] Starting Forces Next: Re: FT-Technology in the FT world