Prev: GZG 6mm, 15mm, spaceships, 25mm figures Next: Irregular Minitures in 15mm

Re: [sg] Starting Forces

From: Jaime Tiampo <fugu@s...>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:55:55 -0800
Subject: Re: [sg] Starting Forces

"Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" wrote:
> I am thinking of getting into Stargrunt. What would be a good force
mix to
> purchase (infantry (reg & PA), not vehicles) to get started?
>
> I was thinking:
> 18 Rifle
>  3 SAW
>  3 Hvy Support Weapon (HSW) such as PPG or GMS/P
> 12 PA
>
> This would give a mix of:
> 3 SAW supported Rifle Teams (3 Rifle, 1 SAW)
> 3 HSW supported Rifle Teams (3 Rifle, 1 HSW)
> 3 PA Teams (4 PA)

Squads of 4 are a wee bit small. Wherein the standard dactrin goes for 8
man squads of infantry and 6 man squads for PA, I run 7 man squads of
infantry. I run 1 SAW, 1 Plasma, 4 riflemen, and a squad leader (same
equipment as a rafleman).

For a platoon I run 3 regular squads and a command squad. The command
squads are identicle to the standard squad except 1 of the riflemen is
equiped with EW gear.

For rifles I go for the Advanced Assult Riffle with grenade launcher
which is a 3 for firepower per rifleman and  standard SAW which is a D8
support. I've thought of giving them a gatling SAW upping it to a D10
power. So each squad gets D12(rifles for 5 men)/D8(SAW)/D6(plasma) and
their quality die.

A squad of 4 men could max out their dies at D8(rifles)/D10(SAW) and
quality. In a lot of cases when you have decent cover you need a D12
just to get a minor hit.

I've just about given up on using a heavy weapon in my squads. I find
the roll off when trying to hit a vehicle with them just isn't worth it.
I'd rather just equip the squad with a slew of IAVRs and support hem
properly. The hitting power of the plasma gun with it's support die
while firing at dispersed targets is more worthhile. Though that's just
my opinion.

If you're buying 15mm I'd just get 4 packs of infantry and 2 of PA if
you're just starting out and don't want to shell out a lot of chash.

If you're going 25mm I'd get 4 squads of 7 or 8.

> PS. Some may have noticed that this mix fits with the forces reported
in
> 15mm sets from GZG. This should not necessarly influence your
suggestions.

Sure it should.  It's all about getting SG in 15mm :)

Prev: GZG 6mm, 15mm, spaceships, 25mm figures Next: Irregular Minitures in 15mm