Prev: RE: [OT] Paper ships Next: RE: [FT] Campaign Rules

Re: Campaign Rules

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 22:44:00 -0000
Subject: Re: Campaign Rules

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Robert Blair <pellinoire@yahoo.com>
To: <gzg-l@scotch.csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 4:31 PM
Subject: Campaign Rules

> Our group of wargamers has changed composition
> recently so it looks as if a new Full Thrust campaign
> is in the offing. This would be our first with the
> Fleet Book system, hence my curiosity about peoples
> approach to DDs.
>
> Our campaign system needs rewritten and drastically
> simplified.
>
> I was toying with an idea for strategic mobility last
> night. I like jump points, so if a jump is effectively
> instantaneous the time is spent travelling between the
> jump points, so the ships thrust controls the travel
> time. This would make fast ships very beneficial - and
> would allow proper battlecruisers to become useful.
>
> Last time we made some items R & D only. You had to
> pay to reaserch them to get them. Limiting access to
> items might be an easy way of simulating TLs.
>
> Michael

You don`t need to use jump points, you can instead have hyperspace
travel
that takes time based on the normal space drive instead of
instantaineous
travel. If you use both warppoints and hyper drive that takes time to
transit, it makes the game a lot more flexible, and avoids the worse
disadvantages of warppoint asaults. Also, a campain system would have
it`s
own advantages for light ships (DD), in the time and cost involved in
construction would give you the numbers to have a fleet presence in at
least
every system (numbers Vs firepower).

BIF
 "yorkshire born,yorkshire bred,
 strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: RE: [OT] Paper ships Next: RE: [FT] Campaign Rules