Prev: RE: Re: [OT]: Trailers, John A, and Barbarians Next: [OT] barbarians

Re: [OT]: Trailers, John A, and Barbarians

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 22:21:25 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT]: Trailers, John A, and Barbarians

John Atkinson wrote:

>>That assumes a *seriously* over-sized powerplant on
>>the main vehicle, though. Very unlikely, unless the main vehicle is
>>purpose-built for towing grav/GEV trailers.
>
>Not really.  I mean, a standard-sized FGP plant has
>excess capacity for a seriously powerful laser or mass
>driver,

Yes, really. The standard-sized FGP plant powers the seriously powerful
laser or mass driver with its spare change. A HMT or CFE plant can
power a small laser, mass driver or GEV vehicle, but you *must* have an
FGP to use Grav - which indicates that Grav propulsion requires orders
of magnitude more power than the difference between a big laser/mass
driver and a small one.

>and the vehicles most likely to carry trailers aren't likely to be
particularly >well-armed

In which case those vehicles are the very purpose-built trailer-towers
I mentioned as the exception to the general rule above. Your suggested
rule makes it just as easy for an MBT or an SPG to tow a trailer as it
is for a purpose-built tractor, however... and the SPGs at least have a
*very* good reason to do so.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: RE: Re: [OT]: Trailers, John A, and Barbarians Next: [OT] barbarians