Prev: Re: Beam Riders was: Aircraft Vs Dreadnoughts Next: Re: [OT]: Trailers, John A, and Barbarians

Re: FT-Technology in the FT world

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: 19 Mar 2001 09:17 GMT
Subject: Re: FT-Technology in the FT world

>Absender: matt@smithdom.freeserve.co.uk
... my point is that from 2183 (FB1) to 2194 is eleven years of
> war against the Kra'Vak. Surely in that time, some technological
> developments will be made? Surely the ships of 2194 will be
> different from those in 2183? In what ways?

That would depend on the development and deployment cycles for
warships, fighters, etc., which may differ from one category to another.
Compare
say, 1990 (Gulf War era) and today - about the sam timespan. Most
weaponry is not that different, but PCs are leagues apart.

> I think that Bif has some very interesting ideas on how contact
> between the different races may have effected the technology used
> by those races, does anyone have any specific ideas?

This will depend very much on how closely the technology of one race
links up with the science and technology of another. Say, humans have
much
better beams than Kravak, but Kravak have advanced gravitic
drives/guns, but human gravitics is primitve, as is Kravak beam tech.
For one race,
copying the other race's advanced technology may require major
research, engineering and infrastructure efforts.

The March issue of Smithsonian 'Air & Space' magazine has an
interesting article on how the Soviets reverse engineered the B-29. A
MAJOR task.
See:
http://www.airspacemag.com/ASM/Mag/Index/2001/FM/TU-4.html

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: Beam Riders was: Aircraft Vs Dreadnoughts Next: Re: [OT]: Trailers, John A, and Barbarians