Prev: Re: [OT] "Enemy At The Gates" Review (Warning! May contain spoilers) Next: [ft] wotw - needlebeams

Re: [semi-OT] Aircraft Vs Dreadnoughts

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:23:07 -0500
Subject: Re: [semi-OT] Aircraft Vs Dreadnoughts

"Robertson, Brendan" wrote:

> Interesting, I wonder if the USN is trying to get the funding for
this.
> As a layman, I would guess they could easily reduce crew requirements
by
> half as well as designing the defences for the greatest protection in
modern
> air combat.
>
> Neath Southern Skies -http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernskies/
> [MKW2] Admiral Peter Rollins - Task Force Zulu-Beta
> [Firestorm] Battletech PBeM GM

The insurmountable problem of trying to get Congress to give the Navy
enough
money to build a new class of battleships is that the Navy must explain
what
these ships will do and why nothing currently available will accomplish
the
task.  There is nothing for a modern, big gunned battleship to do and no
reason
to have the capabilities to even sink one, let alone build it.

A working definition for a cruiser is a vessel capable of independent
operations
(powerful enough to destroy small vessels and durable enough to flee in
the face
of overwhelming numbers).  There is no analogy to ASW in Full Thrust,
and no
ship is impervious to the smaller weapons, so FT only has roles for
fighters
(which need to gang up to destroy anything), scouts, torpedo boats,
torpedo boat
destroyers, anti-fighter escorts, cruisers and carriers.  BC's, BB's,
BDN's, and
SDN's all fall into the category of "super cruisers".  They are all
larger than
cruisers, and they have more and/or larger guns, but tonne for tonne
they are no
more capable than cruisers.

A "true" battleship has an absolute immunity to the guns carried
destroyers or
lesser vessels, is only vulnerable to a cruisers weapons at very short
ranges,
and there exists (for wet navy BB's that had to float) a range band
where the
heavy guns of an opposing BB can neither pierce the armored belt nor the
armored
deck.  An off-the-cuff way for FT'ers to appreciate BB's is if you allow
ships
to up to one row of armor for every 50 pts of mass (at the same armor
cost,
rounding fractions DOWN), K-guns have the same cost as beams, the range
bands
for K-guns are 4+2xclass, you introduce a penalty for firing big guns at
little
targets, and p-torps and fighters ignore all but the last row of armor.
This
should give a good feel for WWII (WWI disallows fighters).

Prev: Re: [OT] "Enemy At The Gates" Review (Warning! May contain spoilers) Next: [ft] wotw - needlebeams