Prev: Re: Aircraft Vs Dreadnoughts (Which is what the topic mutated into :o) Next: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)

Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 08:24:17 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)

Matthew Smith wrote:
> Why is everyone so cynical all the time? Are we really in a world
where
> cynics are the only true realists? Is it impossible to believe that
> somewhere, sometime in the future, a power may exist that is not
totally
> corrupted by bureaucracy and personal or political gain? I'm not
saying the
> UN is or will be perfect, but if you read the canon, the UNSC was
CREATED to
> be a benevolent force.

	Heh.  <putting on Devil's Advocate hat>
	I guess you never read Joe Haldeman's THE FOREVER WAR.

	In that novel, the UN actually does become a world government.
	They are faced with overwelming problems from overpopulation.
	People were starving.

	They found a benevolent solution.
	Over the course of several hundred years, they manage
	to make everybody in the world homosexual.  All reproduction
	is done with raising embryos in vats.  Heterosexuality
	becomes a "curable dysfunction".
	And the overpopulation problem was solved.

	So in this case, the UN *was* being benevolent.
	But I think you'd agree that it would be an unpleasant

Prev: Re: Aircraft Vs Dreadnoughts (Which is what the topic mutated into :o) Next: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)