Prev: Re: NAC figures with backpacks Next: Re: NAC figures with backpacks

Re: [FT] UNSC

From: Jerry Han <jhan@w...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:49:09 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] UNSC

Howdy Brian,

At the risk of spinning this thread out of control...  (8-)

"Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" wrote:

[MUNCH]

> 2145 The Second Solar War. With the outbreak of the 2nd Solar War, the
calls
> to bring the UNSC back under control of the Political UN quietly die
away as
> the need for an independent force becomes clear.
>
> The independent nature of this peacekeeping force is attractive to
many and
> they have no problem recruiting members for forces, scientists for
research
> and exploration, and funding from philanthropists.
>
> Anyway, that's my take on them.

Actually, that's the hardest part to understand about the UNSC.  If
the UNSC is technologicially advanced, the smallest of the 'great
powers', and is still controlled by the other powers (by funding, if
nothing else), then it's almost impossible for them to be 'left alone.'
The current UN is a broiling pot of politics, patronage, and what
remaining idealists there are on the international scene.

Thus, there has to be a clean break somewhere.	The UN of 2183 is not
the same institution of 2001.  Totally different organization, with
the same name as the original UN.  In particular, there has to be no
security council, and there has to be some sort of funding
independence, as space navies are expensive.  It also has to be a
politically savy organization, playing off the great powers against
each other.

I agree that the UNSC (UNP/ UNSC Marine Corps) have to be
professional, well-trained, and well equipped, since they will
almost always be fighting outnumbered and with the initative toward
their opponent.  The recruitment problem is something else I'm
wrestling with, as most countries will not take lightly having
their citizens abandon their citizenship and join the UNSC, nor,
can I see the UNSC allowing their ships to be crewed by volunteers
from member nations.  But, everything we've seen and heard suggests
an fairly effective force, which suggests that they must have their
own recruitment pool somewhere, independent of the other great
powers.

Trying to figure out how to do this without a) putting together a
bunch of impossible events or b) turning the GZG world on its ear
is what's keeping me from updating the UN webage at the GZGPedia.

*shrug*

BTW -- just as a heads up -- the UNSC developing the P-Torp, and
later having it stolen by the NAC is not GZG canon.  Somebody
on the list came up with it.

Thanks,
JGH

--
*** Jerry Han - jhan@warpfish.com - http://www.warpfish.com/jhan ***
   "So when you find somebody to keep, think of me and celebrate,

Prev: Re: NAC figures with backpacks Next: Re: NAC figures with backpacks