Prev: Re: Removing Bases Next: RE: [SG] Close assault interpretation questions

AAR Rheindahlen

From: Frits Kuijlman <frits@p...>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:38:09 +0100
Subject: AAR Rheindahlen

Ok,
I clearly opened a can of worms with the close assault questions.
I'll read the rules again really really carefull before continuing.

In the meantime, here is a small AAR of the Action 2001 show at
Rheindahlen
JHQ. Derk has probably some corrections and extra tidbits.

Rheindahlen is about a 3 hour drive from where I live in Delft(Holland).
As we wanted a relaxed weekend, and nobody was participating in the DBM
tournament we left Delft at 9.00 on Saturday morning. Just before
crossing
the border we had lunch at a McDonalds in Venlo, after which we arrived
at the JHQ at about 13.00. The show was already in full swing as a lot
of
people had arrived the previous evening.

The show was held in a sports hall and was much bigger compared to when
attended two years ago when it was help in a much smalled venue.
There were about 6 traders with different goodies, a lot of clubs from
Germany,
Holland, Belgium and even the UK, and a huge bring and buy.

I shot some photos on film, and I will put these up on the Murphy's
Heroes
website when the film is full.

There were two really noticeable demos. One was a huge 1/300 demo of a
coastal
invasion using epic miniatures. This consisted of two tables of 2x8
meters
each with a small isle in between. These guys probably robbed a bank or
something to be able to afford all the stuff that was on the table.

The other was a small, but really nice looking, participation game of
Megiddo(?) by the Lance & Longbow Society(?). I always get confused by
all
those societies:-) This was only 2x2 feet big, but the landscape looked
really great.

In total there were about 20 demos. Unfortunately, most were only demos
and
not participation games. We were guilty of this ourselves as well with
Stargrunt. We didn't actually invite anybody to participate, and we had
too
many rules discussions to make it fun for casual participants anyway.

After saying hello to everybody we set up our table and were ready to
start
the first scenario at about 14.00. This was an ambush scenario were an
attacking force had to cross the table diagonally and the defender was
hidden
all over the table using counters. The attacker had 4 squads, a walker
and one
sniper. The defender had 3 squads, 2 snipers, 2 minefields and about 10
dummy
counters. This scenario was great fun for everybody, even for the
attacker
who got a bit paranoid after his sniper got too close to one of the
minefields(
we didn't tell him the range was 2 inches). His sniper wasn't even
wounded, but
he was a lot more carefull after that in scanning everything and
clearing out
the table step by step. It didn't help much that both his eyeball Mk1
and
enhanced sensors didn't have much success in identifying counters.
The scenario ended at about 10.00 or 11.00 late at night when the
defending
players last squad was badly mauled.
The one mistake with this scenario was that I didn't put a timelimit on
it.
This meant that the attacker could take his time clearing out positions
before
advancing a bit, instead of taking more risks/casualties and crossing
the
table in good time.

Scenario 2 was one I downloaded. There is an airstrip with lots of
buildings
and a control tower. The control tower has to be taken within a time
limit
so that a landing can take place. The defender had 1 squad of
technicians who
had to be kicked out of the tower before they could perform any acts of
sabotage and a few other squads. The attacker came in with 4 squads and
walker. The original scenario specified more armour which we didn't
have, so
we increased the time limit from 15 to 20 turns. This was a really close
scenario which eventually was won by the attacker with only 2 turns
left.
This scenario was ultimately won by a close assault from one of my
squads on
the building with the technicians. They were kicked out, but my squad
was
badly mauled as well. After that an enemy squad in a nearby room close
assaulted me. This really was an example of a close assault being very
dangerous. My squad failed its reaction test and retreated. In the