Prev: RE: [SG] Close assault interpretation questions Next: Re: Re:Nukes

Re: Close assault interpretation questions

From: adrian.johnson@s...
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 01:06:08 -0500
Subject: Re: Close assault interpretation questions

>> Problem 1. Attacker charges first time but doesn't get there, and
defender
>> holds and fires. Attacker then charges some more and defender fails
test
and
>> runs away. However, attacker didn't throw a high enough die roll to
reach
>> defended position.
>
>Okay, I don't have the rules in front of me, but does the defender have
test a second time for the same charge? I'm not saying they don't, just
that I don't have the rules in front of me.

This one is relatively easy to sort out, but requires *careful*
reading...

The scenario you describe can't occur.	The defender only takes ONE test
unless the attacker reaches him, a close assault occurs, and he loses...
(or as required by the "ending close combat" rule on pg.42.

It goes like this:

Attacking unit announces intention to close assault.

Attacking unit takes reaction test, if passes, close assault may go on.

Defending unit takes confidence test, if FAILS, then NO movement die are
rolled.  The attacking unit immediately occupies the position of the
defender, and the defender withdraws 6" or his basic movement, whichever
is
greater.

If the defending unit passes the confidence test, they may elect to
abandon
the position, in which case no movement die are rolled, and the attacker
occupies the position.	If they choose to take the assault, then the
attacker rolls movement die.  If he reaches the defender, fight the
close
assault.  If the attacker fails to reach the defender, then the defender
gets the free "final defensive fire" action.  At this point, only one
test
has been taken by each side.  There is a potential for a second test by
the
defenders, but that only happens if they are eligible to get off a round
of
defensive fire (the attacker didn't reach them), but they are suppressed
-
and in this case, failing the test does not produce a morale loss, it
just
stops them from taking the defensive fire (it is a reaction test, not a
confidence test).

In the defensive fire action, the defender may shoot his regular and
support weapons.  If he does NO casualties to the attacker, then there
is
no affect on the attacker, and the attacker may roll his second
movement.
If the defender causes casualties to the attacker, the attacker takes an
immediate reaction test with a penalty of +1 per casualty. If he passes,
then he rolls his second movement die.	Defender does NOT need to take a
second test.  If the attacker fails, then he moves either back to his
starting position, or to the nearest cover - attackers choice (and
because
this is a reaction test and not a confidence test, he doesn't lose
morale).

If the attacker fails to reach the defender on his second movement, then
he
may elect to either move the distance rolled toward the target and
continue
the attack the following turn, or move as if he had failed the reaction
test and go to nearest cover or back to starting point.  Either way, the
close assault action is over.

Now, the only other tricky bit is how Follow-Through works.  If the
defender fails his confidence test at the beginning of the assault and
withdraws (or choses to voluntarily withdraw), or is completely
destroyed,
the attacker automatically reaches the abandoned position.  At that
point,
that close assault action has ended.  The attacker may now elect to use
the
special Follow-Through move.  He makes a reaction test (with threat
level
+1 if defending unit was wiped out, and +2 if they pulled back), and if
passed, he takes ONE extra movement action, rolled as a combat movement.
Note that this is NOT a new CLOSE-ASSAULT sequence, and does NOT require
confidence test from the defender.  The defender does not take another
confidence test here - either the attacker reaches him, at which point a
close assault combat is fought out, or the attacker fails to reach him,
at
which point the action is over, and the attacker is stuck where he ended
up
(if he fails to reach the defending unit with his follow-through move,
he
can't chose to ignore it and stay in the position or move to cover -
this
is clearly stated as a COMBAT MOVE, and so you're stuck where you end
up,
just like any other combat move).  This should make units considering a
follow-up action cautious if there is any chance they might not make the
distance to the defending unit - who if they have high enough morale,
might
be able to turn around and blast them...  The important thing here is
that
the Follow-Through is a MOVEMENT, not a CLOSE-ASSAULT SEQUENCE, and
combat
will only occur if the attacking unit has enough movement to move into
contact with the defending unit again.

The only way that the "chase them across the table" scenario could take
place at all is if the attacker reaches the defender in the follow
through
movement, they fight a round of close combat, and the defender loses and
withdraws.  The attacker then has then won the round of combat,
fulfilling
the requirements for being allowed another follow-through attack.  He
has
to take another reaction test to be allowed to do so.  Note, and this is
the important bit, the defender does NOT make a confidence test to
receive
the follow-through movement.  It just happens, decided by whether or not
the attacker rolls high enough on his combat move die to reach the
withdrawn defender.  If this is the case, I don't see it as very likely
that the fight will cross the table - by that point, the defender will
have
lost some *serious* morale, and will probably have surrendered, if they
haven't been wiped out.  Losing a couple of rounds of close combat will
break just about any unit, unless they are *really* lucky.  Sure,
theoretically is *could* continue across the table, but the defenders
only
have the choice to voluntarily withdraw ONCE (at the very beginning), so
it
is *really* unlikely.

And that's it...

Normally, the only tests taken by the defender are the initial test to
receive the charge, and then again at the end of the close assault, as
dictated by the "ending close combat" rules on page 42.  The other
possible
tests are the reaction test to take defensive fire if they are
suppressed,
and a confidence test if they are reached a second time with
follow-through
movement.

Close assaults are an ugly business, but usually a short one...

>> Does he still occupy the position, or does he stop at the end of his
movement?
>> The rules don't say anything about this, as it just says occupy the
position
>> if defender runs away.
>
>That's a good question. I don't think I've had this happen in a game. I
would interpret it as the defenders stopping where they ended their
combat
move.

>This is why I'm questioning the defenders making a second test. I
thought
it was: attackers test to charge; defenders test to stand; attackers
combat
move; if attackers don't make it into combat range, then: defenders
attack;
attackers test to continue; attackers combat move.

Remember though, if the defenders withdraw (either voluntarily or
otherwise) then the attackers don't roll their combat move - they just
get
there automatically.  If the attackers fail to reach the defenders, the
defenders DON'T take another confidence test - so *can't* withdraw...
unless the attackers get there and a close assault is fought.

The scenario exactly as you described it can't actually occur, because
either the defender passed his test, or he failed.  He doesn't get a
second
one after the attacker doesn't reach him the first time...

>> Does this second combat move start at the point
>> he was when the defender failed his test, or does it start at the
target
>> position? The rules state it is an additional combat-move action, so
we
>> interpreted as meaning the second case. Is this correct?
>
>I've always interpreted it to mean that it started at the target
position.
So, I believe you are correct.

Yes - that one seems clear.  If you take the position, then you get to
the
position...  if the defender has failed a test and withdrawn, the
attacker
automatically gets there... so the follow-through movement starts from
the
target position.

>> Problem 3. If the follow-through move is enough the catch up to the
fleeing
>> defenders, what happens? If have seen some references on the web to
close
>> assaulting right across the table. However, the rules state that if
you
>> can reach the fleeing defenders another close combat takes place, not
close
>> assault. We took this to mean that hand-to-hand combat is initiated.
Or
does
>> this mean that defenders first have to make another confidence test?
>
>The rules in this area are hazy. The way it's interpreted on the list
is
that after the defenders run away from a close assault, the attackers
may
initiate the whole close assault sequence again. Which means that the
defenders have to test to stay and fight again.

Well, I think the rules are actually quite clear on this.  The attacker
never gets to start a whole close assault sequence again.  Either he
makes
his follow-up move, reaches the defender, and a close assault COMBAT
takes
place (no tests required from the defender), or he doesn't make the move
and he's stuck hanging in the breeze.  The attacker doesn't get the
option
of declaring another close assault like he did at the beginning - either
he
passes the reaction test allowing a follow up move, or he doesn't.
Either
way, the defender doesn't have a choice about what happens - because the
close combat is ONLY fought if the follow-through movement has enough
distance to bring the assaulting unit into contact with the defending
unit.
 This is NOT a "regular" close assault sequence.  The defenders do not
have
the option of testing to stay and fight again, and so, of course, they
do
not have the option of chosing to withdraw a second time.

I most certainly agree with Allan that it should be difficult/impossible
for the "chase across the table" situation to occur.  But I think if you
read the rules carefully, you'll agree that it is nearly impossible for
that to happen.  The defending unit would have to pass too many
confidence
tests with huge penalties, and unless you have a magic horseshoe stuffed
up
someplace, the defender will more than likely break (and be destroyed or
surrender) before more than two or at most three rounds of combat have
occurred.  And since even if the defender does withdraw they can only
withdraw 6" (or their normal base movement), they aren't going to be
going
too far.  I don't see a need to limit the number of times an attacking
unit
may attempt a follow-through movement.	Except in *really* unusual
circumstances, the close-assault rules are rather self-limiting - the
cumulative morale losses for the losing side will cause them to
surrender
in short order, if they are not wiped out.  I have *never* seen a close
assault go more than two or three rounds.

Hope that helps clear things up (and that I didn't confuse more than
clarify...)

Adrian

Adrian Johnson
adrian.johnson@sympatico.ca

Prev: RE: [SG] Close assault interpretation questions Next: Re: Re:Nukes