Prev: RE: Close assault interpretation questions Next: Re: Re:Nukes

Re:Nukes

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:06:47 +1100
Subject: Re:Nukes

At 07:13  12/03/01 +0000, BIF wrote:
>  As for nukes in space, the effects are
>a lot less against spaceships due to no atmosphere to transmit the
shock
>way/blast effects of a nuke. A nuke detonating in close proximaty (or
>contact) with a ship is a different matter, but the missile would have
>get pass the pds of the target. A planix/gatling type weapon would be
>useless at long range, but would be perfect at close range, preventing
the
>missiles making contact with the ship. That is not considering the
problems
>of getting a missile into close or physical contact with a high speed
>evading target.
>Just my take on the idea.

I'll have to go look this up to get the specifics but in general it was
originally thought that nuclear explosions in space would have less
effect
than one within the atmosphere because of a lack of atmosphere to
transmit
the shockwave, what has been found is that the explosion propagates
(this
is the part I would have to go look up, for what type of radiation it
was)
radiation. This radiation upon colliding with a object released it's
energy
as kinetic energy, in effect a shock wave.

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmania,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com
URL; http://www.users.bigpond.com/derekfulton/

Prev: RE: Close assault interpretation questions Next: Re: Re:Nukes