Prev: RE: Another possible way of looking at it was [ Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts ] Next: RE: Close assault interpretation questions

PA strength

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:45:32 -0500
Subject: PA strength

KH wrote:
> PA being harder to free when trapped - I didn't mean the guy in the >
PA, I meant the suit. If a room collapsed, the PA is harder to
> extract from the rubble.... (bigger/heavier/more awkward). Blowing
> your suit does you no good if you're under a ton of bricks....

You don't need to blow your suit if you just can lift the bricks.
How much lifting etc. can a suit of power armour do ?
I would have thought at least a few hundred Kilos (a trained Weight
Lifter can do that), perhaps even a ton or two (a light crane) ?

[Tomb]
I don't think so. Here's why: If I've got an  Aliens cargo-lifter, I'd
believe you. It is designed to move loads. Fighting PA would be loaded
the chassis limit probably with armour plate, comms, power plant,
environmental supplies like air, water, and weapons systems and sensors.
combat PA system probably can't lift all that much more because it is
probably outfitted to near the limit of capacity already. Or so I
suspect.
You pull a lot with a tracked bulldozer, but a tank tends to have finite
limits because it is already loaded down with armour and a turret and a
main
gun, etc.

It is an utterly arguable point, but it makes sense to me that you would
put
as much armour and gear on your PA as was feasible.

Tomb.