Prev: RE: 2300 AD --> DS2/SG2 Next: RE: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

Close assault interpretation questions

From: Frits Kuijlman <frits@p...>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:27:47 +0100
Subject: Close assault interpretation questions

Last weekend we had a great time Stargrunting. I picked some scenarios
from the
internet. We did do 3 scenarios which kept us busy for about 15 hours.
At
first the going was a bit slow due to lots of rule lookups, but all in
all
things went great.

Scenarios do help a lot, and time limits add even more to the fun.

We are slowly getting the hang of the rules, and the index I found on
the web
was a great help.

A few rule interpretation questions came up with the close assault
though.

Problem 1. Attacker charges first time but doesn't get there, and
defender
holds and fires. Attacker then charges some more and defender fails test
and
runs away. However, attacker didn't throw a high enough die roll to
reach
defended position.
Does he still occupy the position, or does he stop at the end of his
movement?
The rules don't say anything about this, as it just says occupy the
position
if defender runs away.

Problem 2. At the moment the attacker starts his charge, the defender
has to
test. If he fails, he runs away. With the optional follow-through move
the
attacker can then either occupy the position or follow up by doing a
test
and another combat move. Does this second combat move start at the point
he was when the defender failed his test, or does it start at the target
position? The rules state it is an additional combat-move action, so we
interpreted as meaning the second case. Is this correct?

Problem 3. If the follow-through move is enough the catch up to the
fleeing
defenders, what happens? If have seen some references on the web to
close
assaulting right across the table. However, the rules state that if you
can reach the fleeing defenders another close combat takes place, not a
close
assault. We took this to mean that hand-to-hand combat is initiated. Or
does
this mean that defenders first have to make another confidence test?

Cheers,
	Frits
--
Frits Kuijlman			   F.Kuijlman@{its,cs,twi}.tudelft.nl
Delft University of Technology			      The Netherlands

Prev: RE: 2300 AD --> DS2/SG2 Next: RE: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts