Prev: RE: Nukes was: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts Next: Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 23:31:52 EST
Subject: Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 09:26:10 -0500 Jon Davis <davisje@nycap.rr.com>
writes:
snip>
>You are correct.  I meant nm.	It has been at least six years since we
>played.
>The harpoons were launched via bearing-only-launch and were then
>allocated against
>the targets the seeker heads saw when they went active.  The Kirov
>task force consisted
>of the Kirov and a number of escorts, both anti-air and
>anti-submarine.
>
>The Kirov group had been detected via other search assets, so the
>strike group knew
>where to go generally.  The attack included both anti-ship missiles as
>well as HARM
>missiles against the Kirov's search and firecontrol radars.  It was
>the air group
>carying the HARMs that had to endure the SA-N-6 missile fire.
>
>Jon

There are several scenarios in the Computer Harpoon game I used to have
on my computer with the Kirov.	{Then  I bought  486 with no 51/4"
drive,
discovered I couldn't load Harpoon Challenger Pack (5 1/4" disk and
hence
couldn't load Harpoon Designer's Series II because of no
Harpoon...mental
tears flowed - I had made 3 1/2" back ups but they failed!!!!)}

Very Nasty foes but a decent CVBG who can get a SSN or air asset contact
(land based preferably) can make the play and sink the CPU run Kirov
group (or at least the Kirov, after peeling off escorts - the stupid AI
doesn't move escorts around to fill holes...) much more often then I
could get the Kirov TF to sink the CV.	When I played Red (and I never
considered a scenario 'learned' until I could duplicate victory from
both
sides multiple times) the CVBG kept dancing outside my range and
literally ran my SAM's into exhaustion shooting down Harpoons until
enough HARM's and/or lost escorts opened a hole.  Then it was time to
abandon the mission or lose the Kirov.	But for some reason it always
the
Slavas who tripped me up if I didn't keep them in the equation...

Of course does a CPU AI count as a real opponent once you have played
the
scenario over a dozen times?  8^)  People are so much sneakier and
unpredictable...

Gracias, Glenn/Triphibious (American Mongrel)
You don't have to be French to be a 'frog', or even human!
Nektons - Real Marines! (Die, Ralnai, Die!)
Starguard, Dirtside 2,	Ratner's Space Marines, Stellar Conflicts
and Uprisings, and Full Thrust/2nd.  Resistance is everything!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Prev: RE: Nukes was: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts Next: Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts