Prev: Re: FW: London Times Article Next: Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

From: "Robert W. Hofrichter" <RobHofrich@p...>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 20:46:44 -0500
Subject: Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

The problem with all of this is that there is an analogy being made
between
current or WW2 aircraft and surface warships to space fighters and
ships.	I
personally don't like using fighters, mostly because I view them as
being
too "unrealistic" (if you'll forgive the use of that word).  Aircracft
have
an advantage over surface craft since they:

1. have the higher ground (you have to fight gravity to get at them)
2. move through a less viscous medium (air is easier to part than water)

Now, #1 means that your shots at the aircraft have to fight gravity
while
the aircraft's weapons (like bombs) are assisted by gravity.

Item #2 leads to the fact that aircraft can (and often must) move much
faster than surface craft.

In space, these differences don't exist between fighters and ships.  The
only thing I can think of for PSB is the Starfire approach--fighters use
completely different propulsion systems (ones that aren't conducive to
use
on larger vessels)--but even that one's a bit weak.

So, for the above reaon, I favor the WWI analogy.  Fighters can just be
considered to be equivalent to torpedo boats.  Which is why I liked the
fact
in FT2.0 that big ships could move faster than fighters fairly easily
(just
couldn't expect to maneuver very well at those speeds).  With the
increased
fighter speeds in FT/FB, this becomes more difficult.  Oh well.

Rob