Prev: Re: 2nd best profit making illegal smuggling trade Next: Re: FW: London Times Article

Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 06:52:36 EST
Subject: Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001 02:51:17 -0800 (PST)
=?iso-8859-1?q?Michael=20Robert=20Blair?= <pellinoire@yahoo.com> writes:
>To put it very bluntly.
>DD vs BB? The DD dies, live with it.

As it should be. <grin>

>If anything most starship games do not give small
>ships a hard enough time. Fighters always seem to be
>of exaggerated usefulness - people take the Yamato as
>a normal example of the superiority of aircraft over
>BBs and apply this model to the space games forgetting
>just what a concentration of airpower this
>represented.

Yeah, anybody know just how many carriers were involved in this strike?

>I know I am biased, I don't like fighters - I would go
>for the pre WW I model.
>
>I can't help but see fighters as air-superiority and
>ground attack craft launched from orbit with no part
>in a fight in space.
>
>Michael

Well, it depends on your basis for the game model - One modern CV with
full complement should be able to sink multiple Kirov, Missouri's etc.
But then that's hardly a fair (or even reasonable) model.  I like the
'Extended Range Air Force' model for SF space war myself but yes if this
is WW2 in space then strike craft (fighters) are over rated.

Gracias, Glenn/Triphibious (American Mongrel)
You don't have to be French to be a 'frog', or even human!
Nektons - Real Marines! (Die, Ralnai, Die!)
Starguard, Dirtside 2,	Ratner's Space Marines, Stellar Conflicts
and Uprisings, and Full Thrust/2nd.  Resistance is everything!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Prev: Re: 2nd best profit making illegal smuggling trade Next: Re: FW: London Times Article