Prev: Re: Quick question Next: RE: [DS] Kra'Vak Info

Re: [ft] wotw - needlebeams

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 19:30:15 GMT
Subject: Re: [ft] wotw - needlebeams

In message <B18DDC5F1158D311A66900805FD47181C89DDA@VSTASV1>
	  "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@dva.gov.au> wrote:

> Below is a commentary on the systems brought up & possible balance and
KISS
> changes.
>
> *****
> Multi-arc Needlebeam
> Mass: 2 +1 per arc, Cost: 3 per mass.
> ** 6" range, other rules as per Needlebeam.  Needs the range penalty
for
> incentive to take regular needlebeams.
>
> Heavy Needlebeam
> Mass: 5, 1 arc, Cost: 3 per mass.
> 2 die vs 1 system at 12", 1 die vs 1 system at 24". Additional beam
re-roll.
> All other rules as per Needlebeam.
> ** well-balanced between cost and effect; doesn't need the extra
firecon
> rules.  You're trading range for efficiency (2 regular needles are
better at
> close range).
>
> Sniper Gun
> ** too complicated & has same effect as regular needlebeam (different
PSB).
Could use the alternative suggestion - needle beam with KV-specific PSB
;-)

> Phalon Pulsar-N
> ** Allow as an additional tuning option.  6" range, same arcs as
Pulsar.
> All other rules as Needlebeam.  The reduced range trades off the
ability for
> multiple arcs.
Interesting possibility.

> Sa'Vasku Pod - Needle
> Biomass:1, Power: 3.
> ** Range 12". 3 die vs 1 system, other rules as per Needlebeam.  The
penalty
> of losing biomass needs a balancing factor.
Bearing in mind that a Lance Pod (also requires 3 power, 1 biomass) is
very like a _reduced_ range pulse torpedo with improved armour
penetration, so I wouldn't make a needle pod do more effect than 2
needle beams at most (assuming that needle beams _arn't_ overpriced -
big assumption :-)

Alternatively (and this was my first thought), a needle pod could be a
reduced damage lance pod that has needle effects at short range
(6mu? 12mu?)

> St*r Tr*k Multiuse beams (genre specific only)
> ** If using standard FB rules: 6" range & subtract 1 die from normal
beam
> (ie: PDS & class-1 can't be used).  Damage is rolled as normal & if 1
die
> scores a six *and* damage is applied to the hull (it has to get
through the
> screens and armour), then the system takes 1 needlebeam hit result.
All
> other rules as per Needlebeams.
>
> Effector Beam
> ** This should come under EMP rules.

I disagree - these are still _knockout_single_chosen_target_ weapons,
like needle beams, and unlike any of the EMP class weapons that force
thresholds on all or a random selection of systems.
Ok, their effects can be repaired - unlike needle beams.

> Starfire Primary Beam
> ** not really happy with any of the models so far, as they don't show
the
> effectiveness of dropping one into the powerplant/AM magaizine etc.
>

> Brendan
>
> Neath Southern Skies -http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernskies/
> [MKW2] Admiral Peter Rollins - Task Force Zulu-Beta
> [Firestorm] Battletech PBeM GM

Charles

Prev: Re: Quick question Next: RE: [DS] Kra'Vak Info