Prev: Re: FW: London Times Article Next: [FT] Heavy Beams - 4321

Re: FW: London Times Article

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: 08 Mar 2001 11:47 GMT
Subject: Re: FW: London Times Article

>Absender: devans@uneb.edu
> ***
> Maybe just because I was hired originally as a cartographer by
> > DMAAC/DMA/NIMA I think there are some fun implications for
> > scenarios involving 'intentional errors' on the player's and
> > figures maps.  Anybody else seen some use for these in a scenario?

> On the other hand, as I can see lots of 'life or death' situations
> possible with several of these changes, my naivete is shocked that
> cartographers would do such things. It's one thing to alter a song >
recording...

Seems copyright issues are now being taken as seriously as warfare ;-)

During the Cold War era, both sides regarded maps as classified
information. Published maps were missing militarily relevant
information.

The Soviets were especially paranoid about it. It was impossible to get
a good street map of Moscow, and in larger scale maps, whole cities and
roads might be off by several kilometers.

In West Germany, airfields etc. might not only be missing from maps,
even in published aerial photographs, airfields might be replaced by
woods.

All this in the era of satellite reconnaissance!

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: FW: London Times Article Next: [FT] Heavy Beams - 4321