Prev: RE:[FMAS] PA Next: RE: FT-WotW (Railguns)

Re: (DS, SG) A Sort of Halfway idea

From: Tony Francis <tony.francis@k...>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 15:14:39 +0000
Subject: Re: (DS, SG) A Sort of Halfway idea

"Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" wrote:
> [Bri] DS2 is roughly 10x SG ground scale. DS2 ground scale is 1":100m
(DS p.
> 4). SG ground scale is 1":10m (SG p.4).

I looked this one up last night, having finally found my copies of the
rules (packed away and buried during some building work at home).

Applying this 10:1 scaling across all weapons systems would result in
just about all weapons firing at close range. In fact the longest ranged
weapons would reach 600" on an SG2 board ! Although realistic, it a)
makes the battlefield a lethal place for vehicles, and b) negates some
of the advantages of larger weapon systems.

I've come across this situation before when writing WW2 rules, and the
solution we used there was to use different scalings for infantry and
heavier weapons (cue sharp intakes of breath from purists).

A quick perusal of the ranges has led me to go for a scaling up of DS2
ranges by around 4:1 when applying them to a SG2 table. This means that
an RFAC/1 (a common weapon on APCs) would have a maximum range of 64",
slightly more than the maximum range of elite infantry small-arms fire -
this seems about right.

> [Bri] Feel free to use my FMA Enhancement for DS2. It is at
> http://www.ftsr.org/ds2/techlib/ds2fma.html

Well, you seem to have done most of the hard work for me !

This being aimed at SG2, I want to build crew quality into vehicle fire,
so the idea I've had is to make the basic To Hit die that of the firing
crew's quality. This is shifted up one type for superior firecon and
down one for basic, and then modified again for range by similarly
shifting up one die for short range and down one for long range (this
means that an untrained crew with basic firecon could only hit targets
at short range, and that on a d4 only !). The works insofar that for an
average crew the die type would be the same as your current system.

Tony

Tony Francis
Senior Software Engineer
Kuju Entertainment

Prev: RE:[FMAS] PA Next: RE: FT-WotW (Railguns)