Prev: Re: FT-Needle beams Next: GZG-ECC IV summary

[semi-OT] a sensor-related post of sorts [Fwd: active s/c IDed as asteroid 2001 DO47!]

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 14:49:00 -0500
Subject: [semi-OT] a sensor-related post of sorts [Fwd: active s/c IDed as asteroid 2001 DO47!]

Colleague forwarded this on to me, and I thought, in light of some of
the sensor discussion a few weeks (months???) ago (was it weeks or
months? I can't remember), some of the material herein might give
those interested in the periodic sensor discussions some material
to chew on (eg, this is a vacc-head-related post; delete and ignore
if you're only interest is being on the ground ;-)

Mk

Helen Hart wrote:

> [...]
One
> object, I think Cassini, was detected at about 9 million km by Jim
Scotti
> [...]
asteroids
> will find a footnote for events that unfolded last week.
>
> It began on the evening of February 18th when a fast-moving object was
> spotted in western Cancer by the Arizona-based Spacewatch team - the
> patriarch of contemporary searches, which has been looking for
near-Earth
> objects (NEOs) with a 36-inch telescope since the 1980s.
>
> During the next two days amateur and professional observers at more
than a
> dozen locations around the world tracked thetracked the 16th-magnitude
> object as it raced eastward crossing a Moon's diameter of sky every 90
> minutes.
>
> What emerged from the data was a tiny object moving in what appeared
to be a
> strikingly Earthlike orbit around the Sun. Calculations suggested that
it
> had passed very near the Moon last August and would come within
360,000
> miles (580,000 kilometers) of Earth on February 23rd. The Minor Planet
> Center (MPC) in Cambridge, Massachusetts, assigned it the preliminary
> asteroid designation 2001 DO47.
>
> While certainly an interesting object, 2001 DO47 posed no threat. Even
if it
> were headed toward Earth, its estimated diameter of only 10 meters
would
> have made it too small to survive a passage through our atmosphere.
> Furthermore, from the outset there were suspicions by the MPC staff
that
> 2001 DO47 might be artificial and thus more reflective than a typical
> asteroid making it smaller yet.
>
> "We would have liked to check out the artificial possibility before
> announcing the object," notes MPC associate director, Gareth Williams,
"but
> our resident expert, [Sky & Telescope contributing editor] Jonathan
> McDowell, was observing in Arizona and initially out of reach."
>
> The story took another twist when observations of the object made on
> February 23rd by John Rogers in California and the undersigned in
> Massachusetts - both members of the worldwide network of amateurs who
> measure positions of asteroids and comets - were internally consistent
but
> significantly out of step with the earlier sightings.
>
> "2001 DO47 has switched on its engine," is how Williams described the
> situation to MPC director Brian Marsden, who concurred with Williams
that
> the object must be artificial.
>
> By February 25th they heard from McDowell, who identified the mystery
> spacecraft as Wind, a NASA probe, and confirmed that an engine burn
had
> indeed been scheduled for February 23rd.
>
> Launched on a mission to study the solar wind and Earth's outer
> magnetosphere in late 1994, Wind spends most of its time far from
Earth, but