Prev: Re: OUDF - Railguns?? Next: Announcment: Awsome Wargaming Web site with Numerous Gallery Sections

Re: OUDF - Railguns??

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 19:41:14 GMT
Subject: Re: OUDF - Railguns??

In message <002201c09ddf$1c894580$b6aa893e@eve>
	  "Matthew Smith" <matt@smithdom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello, I'm a newbie to this list (just signed up yesterday). I have an
> issue to raise.
>
> The OUDF ships strongly feature large, prong-like protrusions at the
> front. What are these? Are they weapons, or just sensor/communications
> antennae? My take is that these are railguns. I have had some ideas
> about railguns - I (like most people) figure them to be rather like
> K-guns in effect, but I like to think of them as longer ranged but
less
> potent. This can be explained by the fact that they use
electromagnetic
> rails to propel their projectiles, rather than directly transferring
> kinetic energy to them. This might allow greater accuracy (because you
> can manipulate the magnetic fields to alter the course of the
> projectile(s)), but would obviously have less power.
>
> Here are my ideas for railguns in games... I expect some other people
> have come up with better ones, if so where can I find them??
>
> Railguns come in classes 1-6 like K-Guns, and obey the same rules with
> regard to arcs of fire.
>
> Roll to hit like K-Guns, but the ranges are doubled - 0-12 mu: 2+,
12-24
> mu: 3 +, etc.
>
> If you hit, roll 1 die per railgun firing, and take the result as the
> damage, BUT you cannot do more damage than the class of the firing
> railgun. For example, if you hit with a class four railgun, you would
do
> the damage as on the die, but rolls of 5 or 6 would only inflict 4.
>
> Damge is inflicted as per K-guns with regard to armour / shell.
Screens
> / vapour shroud / whatever have no effect.
>
> A class 6 railgun is a lot like a super-long range p-torp, and based
on
> this I have come up with some ideas for mass / points.
>
> Class 1 Railgun (all arcs):	      2 MASS
> Class 2 Railgun (one arc):	    3 MASS
> Class 2 Railgun (two arcs):	   4 MASS
> Class 3 Railgun (one arc):	    5 MASS
> Class 4 Railgun (one arc):	    6 MASS
> Class 5 Railgun (one arc):	    7 MASS
> Class 6 Railgun (one arc):	    8 MASS
>
> All Railguns cost 3 x MASS.
>
> This makes railguns more adept as sniping weapons than K-Guns, but
less
> powerful as a means of doing damage to the enemy. I have tried these
> rules for railguns once, but not the mass/points thing, which I am
> totally unsure about (it could be, in fact probably is a load of
rubbish!!)

> Tell me what you think.
>
> Matthew Smith

Hmm... Well, my personal view is to treat Railguns as another PSB for
K-guns - possibly with a greater MASS and reduced COST to represent a
bulkier but less sophisticated technology (say, COST = MASS x 3 rather
than MASS x 4, MASS increased to compensate - and no, I'm not sure how
much it would need to be increased).

I have briefly considered a 'hypervelocity' K-gun variant, similar to
you suggestion (only it used 9 mu range bands rather than 12, and
otherwise used standard FB2 K-gun rules - apart from that it never went
beyond a vague concept stage).

My suggestion, if you wish to continue with these is, either use 9 mu
range bands (0-9 mu: hit on 2+, 9-18 mu: hit on 3+, etc.), and use K-gun
statistics with the MASS (and COST) doubled, or stick with your 12 mu
range bands and use K-guns with the MASS (and COST) multiplied by about
3 1/2. You could reduce the cost of a RG-1, and reduce its number of
arcs as well - say limit _all_ railguns to 1 fire arc only.

You represent the 'long range/low damage' properties by limiting
yourself to RG-1 to RG-3s.

Just an off-the-wall suggestion, anyway.

Prev: Re: OUDF - Railguns?? Next: Announcment: Awsome Wargaming Web site with Numerous Gallery Sections