Prev: Re: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing Next: Re: Home field advantage Re: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing

Re: Home field advantage Re: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing

From: Tony Francis <tony.francis@k...>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:37:24 +0000
Subject: Re: Home field advantage Re: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing

<john_t_leary@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have noticed the 'ability' of sports fans
> >to use the word 'WE' when the team wins!
> >As if without the effort of the fan the team
> >would have lost.
>
> And in some stadia and arenas, that's actually true. The "home field
> advantage" is small, but it's there. Consider it a positive morale
bonus! *L*

This is now wildly off-topic but I have some numbers to throw out ...

A quick look at this week's Premiership table (the English football
league) shows a 133-64 advantage to the home teams. So the home teams do
33% better than you'd expect if there were no home field advantage.

I also did some research into cricket statistics for a computer game a
while ago and came up with the fact that overall, batting and bowling
averages for home team players are 5% better than the norm and away team
players perform 5% worse.

Quite how this relates to SG2 / DS2 / FT I'm not sure ...

> In SG2 terms, maybe not a die shift in quality die, but perhaps a
TL-1. *L*

The football advantage is enough for a quality shift one way or the
other.

Tony

Tony Francis
Senior Software Engineer