Prev: Re: Dirstside/Stargrunt vehicle nationalities Next: RE: Dirstside/Stargrunt vehicle nationalities

Re: (SG) New GMS rounds

From: "Robert W. Hofrichter" <RobHofrich@p...>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:35:09 -0500
Subject: Re: (SG) New GMS rounds

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn M Wilson" <triphibious@juno.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 10:19 PM

> On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 21:37:57 -0500 "Robert W. Hofrichter"
>
> <snip>
> >
> >Anti-Personnel Air Burst (APAB) Missiles
> >
> <snip>
>
> >High Explosive Armor Piercing Unguided (HEAPU) Missiles
> >

> Okay, first, I don't own Stargrunt.  Fullthrust and Dirtside yes, but
> Starguard supplies the skirmish level SF war game action for me
> currently.
>
> I really like the gamble inherent in warhead selection (how much do
you
> trust the Intel guys?)  but what is the practical load for a squad
with
> this attached to carry for non-vehicle systems?

The examples I've seen have a squad (well, the figure with the launcher,
anyway) carrying around three missiles.  If you assume that they would
have
assigned an "assistant gunner" then there'd be 6 rounds total.	Of
course,
all the other guys would be carrying a single IAVR each anyway...

> I guess you might
> consider them to be DRAGON equivalents?  (interchangeable 'warheads'
for
> the launchers (more or less.)  Or more like Ultra Light TOWs?  I see
> IAVR's as  'expendables - LAW' type weapons.

I see GMS/P is kind of a Dragon equivalent, GMS/L as a light TOW, GMS/H
is a
heavy TOW, while IAVR is indeed a LAW equiv.  I've been out of touch
with
developments since the late '80's so I'd be hard pressed to come up with
recent non-US equivalent models.

> And how does:
>
> "Type    Radius  Impact
> GMS/P     2"	  d8
> GMS/L     3"	  d8
> GMS/M   3"	d10
> GMS/H    4"	 d10"

In the Stargrunt rule book:
3" is listed as the burst radius of a "Light Mortar"
4" is for medium mortar/light artillery

> compare to 'conventional Arty' rounds in SG?	I have DS2 for
comparison
> but I would think SG arty radius would be larger?  What radius for a
> light RAM Mortar type weapon?  MD gun?
>
> Interesting weapon idea.

Ain't original, but I could see that it may be useful.	It converts a
GMS/P
or /L into a general purpose weapon (assuming you have the right ammo).