Prev: Re: Re: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing Next: RE: Re: Odd Alarishi sovereignities [was Re: [OT]: GROPOS]

Re: Re:Childish things was Re: That Age Thing

From: "Jeremy Sadler" <webmaster@s...>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:24:52 +1100
Subject: Re: Re:Childish things was Re: That Age Thing

<snip>
As we watched, a guy drove by in his muscle car. He must have spent a
small
fortune on it. He honked his horn. It sounded like a moose. My friend
Michael, the CFL fan, turned to the other table and said something to
the
effect that, "It's ironic, though, that people in costumes are
considered
weird, and somoene like THAT," he points to the car, "is considered
normal."
<snip>

Which is exactly my point. Well said. :)

I'm a media science fiction fan and while I don't do the costumes
anymore
(yes, I did once!) I still go to conventions, though more in my
publishing
role than as a fan. Watching news reports and listening to "the
populace"
talk, you'd think sci-fi fans were all a bunch of nuts. Especially the
ones
done up in costume.

But every weekend I see thousands of people march off to the football
stadium, done up in their team colours - bodies, faces, butts painted,
draped in scarves etc. And that's considered normal by the "mainstream".

Fortunately, I've never really paid that much attention to the
"mainstream".
:)

JS
---
Jeremy Sadler
Webmaster

Prev: Re: Re: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing Next: RE: Re: Odd Alarishi sovereignities [was Re: [OT]: GROPOS]