Prev: Re: Re:Childish things was Re: That Age Thing Next: Re: Re: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing

Re: Re:Childish things was Re: That Age Thing

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:31:35 -0000
Subject: Re: Re:Childish things was Re: That Age Thing

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Burger <yh728@victoria.tc.ca>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 9:14 PM

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Mike Stanczyk wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Bif Smith wrote:
> >
> > > I don`t have this problem with family, due to my father being a
train
> > > spotter (the worst kind, who does have a anorack). This is a good
reason
> > > that they cannot complain about my hobbies <G>.
> > >
> > > BIF
> > > "yorkshire born,yorkshire bred,
> > > strong in arms, thick in head"
> >
> > Ok, I missed it.  Train spotter?  Ok, just tell me where FAQ is...
>
> A 'train spotter' is someone who spots trains.
>
> <ducks>
>
> In North America they're usually know as 'railfans' - people who head
out
> in all sorts of weather to oogle freight trains. Frequently obsessive
> souls - not unlike wargamers, but generally with better tans.
>
> In the UK they seem to have the rep of absolute strangeness... the
> 'anorak' thing is also uniquely British.
>
> Brian, who spent his teenage years sort of railfanning with his
mother,
> then 'advanced' to wargaming... - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -
> - http://warbard.iwarp.com/games.html -

I myself would be discribed as a rail enthusiast, a person who is
interested
in railways and trains, but not a trainspotter (like my father). A
trainspotter is a person who is almost as sad as a fisherman (spends
hours
at a riverbank, doing nothing, catches a fish, then throughs it back?).
Trust me on this one, there is a difference between a enthusiast and a
spotter, and the latter is one of the sadest people on earth (but there
are
probably worst) <G>.