Prev: Re: That Age Thing Next: Re: That Age Thing

Beginnings? Re: That Age Thing

From: devans@u...
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:01:59 -0600
Subject: Beginnings? Re: That Age Thing

***
I am 53 and have been gaming in some form or other (board games first,
followed closely by historical miniatures) since I was 13 and discovered
newly published "Midway" Game from Avalon Hill while visiting my
grandparents
at Christmas time in 1960 or 61. That makes me roughly a 40 year old
gamer,
and I am an active supporter of the "Old Farts Gaming Club".
***

I was recently challenged by a friend who was concerned when I showed
interest in APL board games. 'But you still prefer miniatures, right? I
don't want to lose you.' I discovered AH in the mid-to-late 60's, but my
intro to miniature gaming didn't happen until after college.

Well, officially. I've been realizing I must give credit to millions of
uncredited commanders of little green soldiers, many of whom developed
rule
structures that would daunt my comprehension now.

Well's Little Wars was reinvented in every town I've lived in, and often
using real explosives, especially right after the 4th of July.

And, still is today, inspite of PCs and video games, much as I love
them.

Weirder still, I've just realized the planetary assault campaign I'm
working on now looks very similar to, minus some orbital mechanics, a
space
war game friends and I developed using a chess board and two copies of
risk
in the about 1971. ;->=

Prev: Re: That Age Thing Next: Re: That Age Thing