Prev: Re: Bugs Don't Surf? Next: Re: SW Ion Cannon was: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

From: Michael Llaneza <imperialdispatches@y...>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:52:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

--- Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> wrote:
> Charles Taylor wrote:
>
> >>The B-wing fighters have ion cannon as well, and there are several
> >>shots of B-wings firing in RotJ. 'Course, those ion cannon are much
> >>smaller than the ground installation on Hoth so their impact is very
> >>much smaller - you never see a B-wing disable a Star Destroyer
>>with
> a single shot ;-)
> >
> >Hmm.. but are the B-wings firing something that looks like the Hoth
> >Ion Cannon blast, or does someone say 'firing ion cannon' as they
> >fire?
>
> IIRC they're mentioned, but I don't remember where I saw that
> reference. Considering the size difference between the Hoth gun and a
> B-wing I'd be somewhat surprised if the blasts look the same though -
> it'd be like expecting fireworks look the same as a launching ICBM :-/

I've been playing X-Wing Alliance lately (tough, but fun). Starfighters
are so
good against capital ships, you wonder why the big ships exist. That
said, even
a B-Wing has to concentrate its fire on a ship (big freighter, say) for
about
15 seconds to tear down the shields and disable the ship. That's three
ion
cannon firing. Warships take longer, and do have pretty good point
defence. A
flight of six with expert pilots should be able to handle an assault
frigate in
one pass. And you'll likely lose a fighter or two doing it. But...

The grandfather gun on Hoth would have done the job in one shot.

Prev: Re: Bugs Don't Surf? Next: Re: SW Ion Cannon was: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons