Prev: Re: FMAS names Next: Re: FMAS names

Re: FMAS names

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 12:15:01 -0500
Subject: Re: FMAS names

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:11:39 +0000, Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com>
wrote:

>I'm not sure - there's been a Free Fire Zone ('Nam rules), and lots of
>others with "Zone" in the title - Kill Zone, Combat Zone, Downtown
>Militarized Zone (DMZ- Shadowrun) etc. A bit over-used, but that's
because
>it sounds good!  :-/

Yep. Free on The Miniatures Page.

>"Sharp End" is a strong possible - yes, I know the Drake book (THE
sharp
>end), but hey, it's a book not a game, and you can't copyright a
title....)

One thing, though. I would avoid the Drake titles if only because it
might
make it hard to get trademarked. I know you can't copyright a title, but
you
can trademark it. It would probably be okay, but lawyers make a stink of
a lot
of money from people who thought they were "probably okay".

>It's just SUCH a shame that "Hot Lead" has been grabbed by SJG years
back
>but will probably never actually see publication.... as a minis game
title
>it's pretty near perfect......  :-/

Yeah, it is...

It reminds me of a button I had once that said, "Eat hot photons,
Martian
slime!" Some variation on "Hot Lead" might work. "Hot Plasma, Cold
Steel" was
one I thought of when I read Owen's "Cold Steel" suggestion.

There is another idea I thought of. It's been done by other companies.
You use
the name of one product as a tie-in for the name of another product
that's
somewhat different.

"Stargrunt: Fireteam"

It uses the Stargrunt "brand", but implies that the game is different
from
Stargrunt II. Of course, there is always the possibility of brand
confusion.
However, movie companies and software developers don't seem to think
it's a
big deal. Just throwing out another idea...

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: FMAS names Next: Re: FMAS names