Prev: Re: FMAS names Next: RE: FMAS names

[FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

From: "stranger" <stranger@c...>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 11:01:33 -0500
Subject: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

I've been following the EMP thread somewhat this week.	While I have no
problems with complex game systems, I do play FT because of it is simple
yet
provides myriad tactical options.  It seems that the EMP rules being
proposed are far more complex than they need to be.  Something Beth
reminded
me about, is the need to try and keep things to simple die rolls as much
as
possible.

Lists and such items only require more book-keeping, or additional
charts to
the game, whose beauty is in its simplicity.  Focus on the situation,
not
the rules.

Now, my limited knowledge of EMP is that its an area effect affect.
That
suggests creating a template of some given radius.  Anything in the
radius
is subject to the effect of the EMP.

The EMP effect, most simply, could be a threshold check on all systems.
Those that fail are down until DC brings them back online.  Core systems
are
shielded, so they are immune to all EMP checks.  Shields are elewctronic
systems, so nothing suggests that they should be immune or grant
immunity.
EMP wepons should:

1.  Be expensive.
2.  If an EMP weapon fails a threshold check, it should immediatly apply
its
EMP area effect.  This makes EMP weapons very dangerous to carry, and
could
explain their rarity.  If an automatic detonation is too much to
swallow,
give it a chance to detonate, using some sort of mechanic like the power
core machanic.	Each turn the EMP weapons is "down" there is a chance
that
it will go off, subjecting the ship, and anyone else in the area to
those
affects.  Gotta keep those EMP weapons securly shielded and well-taken
care
of.

Anyways, my two sense.	I'd like to see a mechanic that introduces new
tactical options without increasing the complexity.

Prev: Re: FMAS names Next: RE: FMAS names