Prev: GZG ECC IV - Anyone Need a Ride from Harrisburg? Next: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 08:59:57 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

Bell, Brian K wrote:

>[Bri] True. I will concede the point. Allow target ship's player to
choose
>order. Following the thread, I would not even care if weapons were
>taken out of the mix. But I would like to see engines, screens, and
>FCS stay in the mix. I think that IPW weapons would be a favorite for
>Pirates, as the systems/ships are not destroyed, but only disabled.

Yep :-) I'd (currently!) prefer leave the weapons in the mix though.

>>>Stealing the idea from Noam:
>>>IPW may be fired in PDS mode... [snip]
>>
>>Which means that a single IPW can work as a potentially infinite
>>number of PDSs, each with its own private ADFC. The potential risk
>>to friendly ships is far, far smaller than the potential benefit.
>
>[Bri] I did not think of it in those terms. Also, I did not think
about it
>combining with normal PDS. So drop this aspect as well.

IOW you're thinking like a reasonable gamer instead of like a rules
lawyer and min-maxer ;-)

>>>EMP Missile Salvoes (EMP-SM)
>>>We need to decide whether Phalon Vapour shrouds have the effect
>>>of level-2 screens against these or not,
>>
>>Keep it simple. The rules say that "A deployed shroud acts like a
>>level-2 screen against all energy weapon attacks, ...", so unless you
>>describe the EMP pulse as not being energy <g> or the SM-EMP >>rule
is *very* emphatic that the shrouds don't work against it they >>should
work against it.

>[Bri] So Pulse Torpedos are not energy weapons (ala Photon >Torpedos)?

A deployed shroud *does* act like a level-2 screen against P-torp
attacks: level-2 screens have no effect on P-torp rounds <g>

'Course, it *could* be argued that the P-torps are governed by the
sentence immediately after the one I quoted: "Weapons normally
unaffected by screens, (K-guns, Pulse Torps, SMs etc) are unaffected by
vapour shrouds." ;-) That sentence is a clarification to the first one
though, not a list of exceptions.

The vapour shroud rule might be clearer if it just said "A deployed
shroud acts like a  level-2 screen." without referring to energy
weapons - though no doubt *some* players would interpret that as the
shroud giving "level-2-screen-like protection" even against the
normally screen-skipping weapons :-/

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: GZG ECC IV - Anyone Need a Ride from Harrisburg? Next: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons