Prev: Re: (OT) What I love to hate was Re: [OT] Mini Pictures Next: RE: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

Re: (OT) What I love to hate was Re: [OT] Mini Pictures

From: "chubbybob" <bob@r...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:21:34 +0100
Subject: Re: (OT) What I love to hate was Re: [OT] Mini Pictures

Tony Francis said
> > At the moment we have a policy of showing pictures of (mostly)
unpainted
> > models on our (Brigade Models) site.

 and Chris deBoe

> I agree with Tony, I'd like to see bare metal--or better, perhaps, a
figure
> with a dark wash to emphasize the texture and details.

I have to agree most heartily with these sentiments. painted figures can
be
very misleading.. I speak from my own position as "a bit of a painter"
trying to convince other gamers that my old ancient figures are really
minifig 15mm "blobs" from the 70's. I much prefer to see plain figures
but
highlighted to show potential as described by Chris.
On the other hand once having seen the figures it is a nice idea for
manufacturers to encourage users to submit painted examples for a
gallery..
being a remotely sited gamer I very seldom see figures other than my
own..
Seeing what others can do with figures is such an inspiration.	I still
carry wonderous memories of visiting a UK convention three years ago and
going into orbit over the figure painting standards on display. it was
my
first such experience in 20 years. My memories were of often unpainted
tabletops and half painted armies.. what a superb improvement.
       This perhaps impinges on another post re GW .. for all their bad
points, for all the damage they have probably done to regular gaming ,
what
one cannot take away from them	is the effect they have had on both the
quality of professional figures and the level of painting they have
inspired
in their army of followers. Let me say that I consider myself a quality
painter. I learned the art of dry brushing from a 13 year old nephew who
was
taught the technique in a GW shop.. not all that is GW is destructive..

Prev: Re: (OT) What I love to hate was Re: [OT] Mini Pictures Next: RE: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons