Prev: Re: MT Missile Question Next: Re: Counter terrorism FMA was Alien terrain

Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 23:32:03 GMT
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

In message <6B3C0EEAB4FED3119F5F009027DC5E9EA9ADE6@spacemsg3.jhuapl.edu>
	  "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

> Re: Charles' idea regarding "EMP Damage"
>
> This is extra record keeping, but may be adressable by marking EMP
damage
> with a small circle in the damage box.
>
> If EMP hits are scored against undamage hull, and no thresholds are
taken
> until the EMP hits reach the end of a row, that could work really
well.

> Say a ship has 24 hull and takes 7 EMP damage. The ship takes a
threshold
> (6+) roll. Then next EMP hit continues going on the second damage
roll. When
> physical damage reaches the end of the first row, the ship thresholds
(at
> 6+) again. If the ship's pysical damage reaches thresh 2 before the
EMP
> damage does, then it only takes the thresh 2 (5+) check from the
physical
> damage. If, next, it gets EMP damaged past thresh 3, it takes a thresh
check
> at 4+. (EMP damage starts at the first undamaged boxthat has not also
> received EMP damage.
>
> This is a very different dynamic that I think requires some thought to
> balance.
>
> Noam

Actually, my idea was to only count EMP damage on the round it was
inflicted, for the purpose of determining thresholds only - and then
forget about it - this was largely to eliminate the extra record
keeping.

Modifying your example:
The ship has 24 hull, and an EMP weapon hits for 7 EMP damage.
The ship takes a Threshold (6) roll.
Later, the ship loses its first hull row to real damage, and takes a
threshold (6) again.
Say it took 10 real damage, thats the 1st row + 4 boxes of the 2nd.
An EMP hit of 6 causes a Threshold(5+) check.
Next turn another EMP weapon hits, for 3 EMP damage, however, after
making the last set of threshold checks, the EMP damage was forgotten,
so the ship makes another Threshold (5+) check.

Hope thats clear, and useable, I can see some potential areas of abuse
though.

Charles

Prev: Re: MT Missile Question Next: Re: Counter terrorism FMA was Alien terrain