Prev: Re: [FT] Weapon of the Week - AM-SM Next: Re: ECC: Early Birds?

Re: OT-Wrong port arthur

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 21:53:18 -0500
Subject: Re: OT-Wrong port arthur

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 19:10:56 +1100, "Alan and Carmel Brain"
<aebrain@dynamite.com.au> wrote:

>Well, about 1980 it was revealed that a Japanese torpedo boat tender
>was known to be operating in the area at the time, with the UK
government's
>acquiesence if not approval. On the balance of probabilities, there
really
>was an attack, and the Japanese used the UK fishing fleet for cover.

Alan, do you have a citation for this? Nothing I have, even stuff
written well
after 1980, references this.

To be honest, I'm skeptical. From my studying of history (both in
post-secondary school and on my own) "balance of probabilities" doesn't
equate
to "actually happened", particularly when the reference is to a tender
and not
the destroyers themselves.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, or even improbable. I'm not saying
that
there was no tender there. But I would like references. Japan and
Britain were
allies, and Japan bought a number of ships from Britain. Japan had a lot
of
people trained in Britain, including Togo, if I remember correctly.
There
could be a number of reasons for a Japanese tender to be in British
waters, if
there was a tender.

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: [FT] Weapon of the Week - AM-SM Next: Re: ECC: Early Birds?