Prev: Re: [OT] GW Lord of the Rings and my age Next: Re: Counter terrorism FMA was Alien terrain

Re: DS Unit Question

From: Noel Weer <nsweer@i...>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 17:52:59 -0600
Subject: Re: DS Unit Question

Casquilho, Daniel wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have read the rules twice through and am now attempting to create a
> "force". I did run into one question, can a "unit" have more then one
kind
> of "element" in it?
>
> I was thinking of having a unit with 2 AV6 VTOLS with 1 four men stand
and 1
> two men stand each, and 2 AV9 VTOLS. That would give me a unit with
four
> troop elements and four VTOL elements. I was thinking the infantry,
mounted
> inside the two transport VTOL and the two gunship VTOL would use their
speed
> to "react" and go to where they where needed. If the situation
required,
> then dump the infantry on spot or if need be, hit the problem with
"fly by"
> type attacks etc.
>
> Would this work within the rules?

Yes, it would. Technically I find no reason you couldn't treat the
conditions here like you would any other APC. Have it all as one unit
while they were being carried, and then when you unload the troops you
can take the transports up to 10 inches away without an integrity
penalty. Treat the gunships as with the transports in this state. If
they move more than 10 inches away, then the VTOLs become a second unit.

This is how I use the one VTOL unit I have - 4 transports and 2 gunships

(same figs you listed). I use the gunships as light escorts as they
travel to their drop point, then land and unload a full platoon of
infantry. Then I keep the VTOLs around as support elements, or as
conditions warrant I zip them off to provide fire elsewhere.

> Even if it works within the rules would it work as a unit on the
table?

That is a different story. I think the small number of infantry elements

you have in play here may not be very viable on their own in a serious
scrape.