Prev: Scales again (was: RE: The GZG Digest V2 #289) Next: Re: Scales again (was: RE: The GZG Digest V2 #289)

Re: [SG, DS] Logistics (was: Powered Armor!)

From: "Robin Paul" <Robin.Paul@t...>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 01:28:19 -0000
Subject: Re: [SG, DS] Logistics (was: Powered Armor!)

----- Original Message -----
From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2001 7:43 PM

> Bell, Brian K wrote:
>
> >I also saw an article in Popular Mechanics (?) about the new army
> >Light Armor Vehicle (LAV). It indicated a speed of 60mph and a range
> >of about 120 miles before refueling.
>
> Hm? In that case the USAR LAVs have only 40% the fuel capacity of the
> Canadian (Kodiak etc) and USMC (LAV-25) ones... the range of an LAV
III
> depends on the exact model, but most of them have listed ranges around
> 3-400 miles.
>
> Regards,
> Oerjan Ohlson

Perhaps they were quoting road speed and cross-country range? That
sounds
like the sort of confusion that arises in the popular press- I recall
BBC
correspondents standing beside a Warrior and calling it a Challenger,
and
referring to "this column of Russian heavy armour", which consisted of a
handful of earth-movers and a couple of BTR-70s.

Rob Paul

Prev: Scales again (was: RE: The GZG Digest V2 #289) Next: Re: Scales again (was: RE: The GZG Digest V2 #289)