Prev: Re: RE:jumna class patrol cruiser Next: Re: [SG][DS][FT] Jumna Class Patrol Cruiser and Naval Infantry Company

Re: [SG][DS][FT] Jumna Class Patrol Cruiser and Naval Infantry Company

From: "Christopher Downes-Ward" <c.downes-ward@i...>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:31:55 -0000
Subject: Re: [SG][DS][FT] Jumna Class Patrol Cruiser and Naval Infantry Company

----- Original Message -----
From: Laserlight <laserlight@quixnet.net>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 2:45 AM
Subject: Re: [SG][DS][FT] Jumna Class Patrol Cruiser and Naval Infantry
Company

> > The Jumna Class Patrol Cruiser.
> >
> > The Jumna class is best appreciated by considering its role first
> and in
> > particular what it is not. It is NOT a line of battle vessel despite
> being
> > built on a hull the same size as many Battle Cruisers. It is
> intended for
> > independent show-the-flag and colonial policing and piracy
> suppression
> > operations in areas where it is not likely to meet "main force"
> opposition.
> >
> > Jumna
> > FighterBays=1
> > PDSs=1
>
> ONE point defense system, and no Beam-1's?  What are you going to do
> about enemy fighters?
Good point

> > Hangars=1x Size2 - carries 2 size 1 Tactical Interface Transports
>
> You need a Mass 3 hanger to carry 2 mass of transports.
Sorry, I should have been clearer, that Hangars sized to carry 2 size 1
T.I.T's i.e. 3 mass.

> > Weapons
> > Class 3 Battery=F, FP, FS
> > Class 2 Battery=F, FP, FS
>
> This seems a bit light--to put it mildly.
>
> > The Jumna also has drop tubes for 6 power armour troopers.
>
> Is that "six at a time", or "six total", which hardly seems
> worthwhile.
That's six at a time, i.e. two of Jon's Dirtside stands.

> > The Jumna embarks a complete Naval infantry company organised as
> follows
> > (Dirtside):
>
> Is this supposed to be carried in the Cargo-1 and Passenger-2?
the vehicles are in the Cargo-1 and the two light infantry platoon's are
in
the passenger-2, the other troops replace marine contingent as in More
Thrust p17 and 18.

> > There are only two Assault shuttles, each capable of carrying one
> size 2
> > vehicle + passengers OR 16 troops. This means that it takes two
> waves to
> > land an entire platoon with its vehicles.
>
> Which means you'd better not try a hot landing--against any opposition
> more sophisticated than farmers + rifles, your first couple of squads
> will be gone before your second delivery gets down.  In fact, thinking
> of the Boers, they might have a problem dealing with farmers+
> rifles....
You can land 32 infantry in one go that's 4 squads and they are
supported by
6 aerospace fighters, but yes against heavy oppostion they are in
trouble.

> All told and assuming your math adds up, I'd say you've loaded the
> ship with too many missions in mind, resulting in a design which can't
> really do anything well.  Of course, there have been RealWorld designs
> like that, but you may nonetheless want to split it into two smaller
> ships as BIF suggested--say a special ops or assault cruiser and a
> normal CE.
>
> If you want to keep it as one ship, I'd consider dropping the
> ortillery, the streamlining, and the B3, and add more landers, B2, and
> PDS or B1.

The reason I picked two landers is cos' I've got 2 lander models, of
course
I could say I have more but that the hangar bay doors mean I can only
launch
2 a turn or some other handwaving.

Actually I have two Tactical Interface Transports in 25mm, 2 in 1/300
and 2
Space 1999 Eagles in 1/300 and an X-33 in what looks about 1/300. I was
going to call the last 3 item the "adminstrative" shuttles. I.e. no
opposed
landings unless desprate.

Prev: Re: RE:jumna class patrol cruiser Next: Re: [SG][DS][FT] Jumna Class Patrol Cruiser and Naval Infantry Company