Prev: Re: [OT] Math Next: Re: [OT] Math

Re: [OT] Math

From: "Nathan" <Nathan_at_Spring_Grove_UK@e...>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 18:01:04 -0000
Subject: Re: [OT] Math

From: Laserlight <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Sunday, January 21, 2001 04:49
Subject: [OT] Math

> If I fire six missiles, each of which hits with a 1 in 6 chance,
> I know the chance of getting six hits <snip> and the chance
> of getting six misses <snip>.  Let's say, though, that I want
> to know what the probability is for getting four hits?

p(exactly four hits)=0.008037551, or 0.8%
p(more than three hits)=0.008701989, or 0.9%

Having built my bludgeon, I thought I'd better get my
money's worth from it:

p(exactly three)=0.053583676, or 5.4%
p(more than two)=0.062285665, or 6.2%

p(exactly two)=0.200938786 or 20.1%
p(more than one)=0.263224451 or 26.3%

And for those of you fighting in a Teske field:

p(exactly one)=0.401877572, or 40.1%
p(more than none)=0.665102023 or 66.5%

Now, does that earn me the title Malleus Munchkorum,
or qualify me for burning at the stake for the same
offence?

Nathan "Chancefinder General"

Prev: Re: [OT] Math Next: Re: [OT] Math