Prev: Re: [FT-FB]Islamic Federation Ship Next: RE: Fonts for list (was: Islamic Federation Ship)

RE: [SG2] Sample platoon organization - request advice

From: "Owen Glover" <oglover@b...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 21:56:30 +1100
Subject: RE: [SG2] Sample platoon organization - request advice

Mark,

Good comments so far. We have been using the house rule mod much
discussed
regarding adding a Firepower Die AND Firecon die for Heavy Weapons vs
infantry and it has been giving a good feel. For the size 1 and 2
weapons we
use the D10 or D12 impact as well! 50Cal/20mm do pack a punch eh?

My only comment regarding a heavy wepaon like this at a platoon level
would
be impact on mobility. Now, say you are motorised troops then they would
expect to have the wheels to cart this big beast (AND it's huge
ammunition
supply) around. Whilst mounted it can be a mobile fire platform perhaps,
but
dismounted for defensive or fire support for assualts etc.

In a 'man pack' mode, an RFAC 1 is really going to be severely limited
in
effectiveness due to ammunition constraints.

So, my suggestion would be, like Allan mentioned, allocate TWO Gauss
SAWs at
Platoon HQ.

On another point, MGs are usually allocated/tasked in pairs.
Interlocking
arcs and mutual support are two key considerations in siting MGs. So you
should see MGs in use in numbers more than one. Otherwise theya re just
fast firing rifle!?

Have fun!

Owen