Prev: Re: [FT] Asteroid Collisions Next: Re: [FT] Asteroid Collisions

Re: Questions on cloaking (bit long)

From: devans@u...
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 21:40:58 -0600
Subject: Re: Questions on cloaking (bit long)

***
A cloaked ship cannot be fired upon (but can be
affected by area effect weapons) unless it has been 'lit up' by
something.
***

In the original, didn't they think they could shoot, but only a hit on
the
wildest luck? Admittedly, even the 'legendary helmsman of the legendary
crew' having this much trouble indicates ALMOST, but not quite,
impossible.

Of course, in the movies, Kruge's caused a flickering of background
stars,
and in another, there WAS outgassing, but that whole 'our sensors aren't
equipped to detect, but this survey module is' is one of those things
that
has us true trekkies having our suspension of disbelief running in
hyperwarp. ;->=

On the other hand, I think my inability to quote an entire episode or
movie
probably disqualifies me.

***
Cloaked ships in Star Trek never seem to be bothered with 'flying blind'
so assume that they _can_ use passive sensors.
***

Again going back to the original, the Fed ship was almost as cloaked to
the
bird as vice versa. Except in the case of Crazy Ivan's, subs pretty much
assume that flying blind is non-hazardous, and Balance of Terror WAS a
sub
movie.

The_Beast

-Douglas J. Evans, curmudgeon

One World, one Web, one Program - Microsoft promotional ad

Prev: Re: [FT] Asteroid Collisions Next: Re: [FT] Asteroid Collisions