Prev: [OT] interesting stuff at DARPA (for your amusement) Next: [FT] proposed IF ships

Re: [FT] Asteroid Collisions

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 07:54:18 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Asteroid Collisions

Schoon wrote:

>>I would suggest going for an 'avoidance' roll.
>
>I was going to avoid that whole can of worms and just say that the
>collision had already occurred. I'm just looking at damage.

If the asteroid is big enough that you use the FT2 method to determine
if there's a risk for collisions (ie., if the ship's path crosses the
asteroid's base you risk crashing) and the ships really move at the
velocities most FT time/distance scales suggest, a ship which fails its
avoidance roll takes about ten times its current number of hull boxes
in damage. The chance to get a "scrape" rather than a clean miss or an
utterly fatal crash is virtually non-existant..

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: [OT] interesting stuff at DARPA (for your amusement) Next: [FT] proposed IF ships