Prev: "High Resolution" FT (Long) Next: Re: Nathan's FB3 comments,

Re: "High Resolution" FT (Long)

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <s_schoon@p...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 13:28:09 -0800
Subject: Re: "High Resolution" FT (Long)

>The following is a ruleset I've been working for a while on to bridge
the
>gap between large fleet actions and single ship duels using the FT
rules.

I don't mean this in a disparaging way, particularly since you've put
some effort into this, but why? I find that FT works just fine for
single ship battles, though it will make for a short game.

[snipped basic rules]

It looks as if you simply doubled most things, and while it will tend
to average out the "luck" factor involved with small ship battles, it
wouldn't (to my eye) seem to produce different results.

>		 Sensors [symbol: icon of sensor dish inside a circle]
-- when
>firing, for weapons with multiple range categories, the target is
treated as
>if it were one range category further away. For weapons with only one
range
>category, the target is treated as if it were twice as far away (i.e. a
>Class-1 battery has an effective range of 6).

What's the rationale for this? It wouldn't seem to have a parallel in
FT.

>Fighters
>      -Fighters have double CEF from normal FT

I'm assuming that this is because they now have the chance to move
twice per turn. OK.

>      -Once attacking a target, fighters can expend an additional CEF
each
>half turn to "maintain attack - basically an offensive screening effect
>where the fighter automatically moves with the target.

I'm make them move rather than use "offensive screening." Why? It
gives the ships a chance to force them to use another CEF, rather
than giving them an automatic follow.

>Point defense

Why not just double fighter "hits" as well (takes 2 damage to kill
one) and leave PDS as is. That way no one gets screwed on the
rounding.

Prev: "High Resolution" FT (Long) Next: Re: Nathan's FB3 comments,