Prev: Re: strike the colors rule Next: Re: [FT] Starfire Bug designs

RE: [FT] Wave Gun (was: OU & IC & FB3)

From: "Dean Gundberg" <Dean.Gundberg@n...>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:00:12 -0600
Subject: RE: [FT] Wave Gun (was: OU & IC & FB3)

Indy wrote:
> In season 2's "The Long, Twilight Struggle" there MAY be a scene in
which
> two Narn cruisers are hit by one beam sweep - but not all ships in the
> area,
> which is what would/should happen if you use the Wavegun idea for the
> Shadow weapon. So from that I can see an arguement for a sweeping beam
> covering an area. But it was a one-time thing for the Shadows (okay,
and
> a one-time thing for Epislon 3's Great Machine in season 1), and I
think
> it was more for dramatic effect and to illsutrate how *much* more
> some tech is compared to the level of most of the races around at that
> time.
> Bearing this in mind, I would be hesitant to introduce an area effect
for
> Shadow weaponry (just make the damage hideously huge :-). I'd probably
use
> instead 2 beam shots to simulate one beam sweep.

I think I remember somewhere in a EFSB conversion for Shadows (or maybe
it
was B5 Wars)that they used the Heavy Beam weapon mechanic but with a
massive
charge, and you could fire that one beam at multiple targets, but it
cost
you 1 die of damage to skip from the 1st to 2nd target, 2 dice from the
2nd
to 3rd, etc.  Those dice are then lost as they represent the beams
continuous fire between the targets.  All targets must be in the same
arc.

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
The latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://star_ranger.homestead.com/

Prev: Re: strike the colors rule Next: Re: [FT] Starfire Bug designs