Prev: Re: strike the colors rule Next: Re: [OT] "May be Forged" Header &%&@

RE: [FT] Efficient Designs (PDS vs C-1)

From: "Peter Mancini" <peter_mancini@m...>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 19:08:08 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] Efficient Designs (PDS vs C-1)

That was what I was looking for.  3-2-1 ratio there between
PDS/C-1/ADFC.

Your comments on the fighter bay mass and cost are also well heeded.
With 6
endurence only, fighters also are more expensive in longer operations in

that they don't have 100% operational life of the battle.

High priority vessels should have 6 PDS, and escorts should have similar

numbers plus an ADFC.

I am reminded of a naval game I once played in which I played the Soviet

Union (Nasty 1985 version, not nice 1995 version) and my friend, a naval

officer played the US.	The game was in the med.  On turn one my friend
decided to get aggressive and used his aircraft off of the Nimitz to
spend
most of their time on strike missions.	With a weakened CAP I was able
launch Bear (I think) out of Sevastopol, got within 300 miles of the
group
and put a Kingfisher ASM into the Nimitz.  She became so disabled there
was
not hope of recovery during the game.  He conceded right there!

The point is that defense against magic bullets like fighters and
missiles
is key which is why I was interested in this.

>From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@dva.gov.au>
>Personally, if I was applying 12 mass to active defences, I'd fit 6
PDS, 4