Prev: RE: NSL vs KV, was Re: [Ft} OU & IC & FB3 Next: RE: [FT] Defending with SMLs

Re: NSL vs KV, was Re: [Ft} OU & IC & FB3

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 14:11:44 +0100
Subject: Re: NSL vs KV, was Re: [Ft} OU & IC & FB3

Laserlight wrote:

>>>Apropos which, the junior admiral of my household requests the
>>>advice of the List on what NSL ships and tactics to use to deal with
>>>2000 points of KV.
>>
>> Cinematic or Vector?
>
>Cinematic.  In Vector I'd just say "stay in a pack and keep turning to
>face them."
>
>Come to think of it, in Cinematic I'd say about the same--find a piece
>of space you like, reduce speed to zero and rotate as needed.

Often works, but watch out for two things:

* KV that split up and make high-speed feints from multiple directions.
It's a gamble for the KV, of course - if the NSL ships turn to face the
one group which presses its attack instead of breaking off, the KV will
get hurt too. If the NSL get it wrong, OTOH...

* KV that stay in the 24-30mu range band. K-guns outgun B3-3s at this
range, and the lesser NSL beams are too short-ranged - all in all the
KV have the advantage at this range, and if the NSL have speed 0 it'll
take them a while to do anything about it.

Another thing to try is to split the NSL force up into 2-3 squadrons,
and use them to cover each others' rear arcs. You'll need some thrust-4
ships to do this, though.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: RE: NSL vs KV, was Re: [Ft} OU & IC & FB3 Next: RE: [FT] Defending with SMLs